Common Developer Commands
There's a large number of developer commands that can help you playtest your addons and maps. There are two types of commands: console and in-game. The commands listed below are some of the most commonly used.
Common Console Commands
Open VConsole with VConsole documentation.to enter console commands. For an in-depth look at VConsole see the
Typing the first part of a console command displays all the commands that begin similarly. For example, typing
"dota_dev " (with the extra space afterwards) shows all the commands contained in the
- bind: Bind a command to a key with "bind [key] [command]". Example:
"bind k dota_dev hero_teleport"executes
dota_dev hero_teleportwhenever the key is pressed.
- dota_ability_debug 1: Cast abilities without cooldowns. This will affect enemies as well!
- dota_bot_give_level [N]: Add N levels to all the bots in game.
- dota_dev hero_level [N]: Add N levels to the selected hero.
- dota_dev hero_teleport: Teleport the selected hero to the current cursor location.
- dota_dev forcegamestart: Forces the game to start (horn sounds, creeps spawn, etc).
- dota_dev dota_gridnav_show: Toggles visibility of the navigation grid. It can be useful to bind a key to "incrementvar dota_gridnav_show 0 1 1" toggle this information on and off.
- dota_create_item item_*: Entering dota_create_item item_boots will create brown boots and place them in the selected hero's inventory. Typing "dota_create_item ", displays all items in the game.
- dota_create_unit: Creates a unit at the cursor location. Any kind of unit can be spawned this way. "dota_create_unit earthshaker" spawns a controllable Earthshaker. "dota_create_unit earthshaker enemy" spawns an enemy Earthshaker.
- fow_client_debug 1: Shows you how Fog of War is being determined (green squares are visible, red squares are Fog of War'd.
- jointeam good: puts the player on the Radiant team and starts the hero picker. Conversely, "jointeam bad" places the player on the Dire team.
- noclip: Player becomes non-solid and flies. In Dota 2, this only affects the camera -- a player is a separate concept and position from that player's hero.
Common In-Game Commands
In-game commands are entered in chat with.
- -lvlup N: Adds N levels to the player's hero.
- -gold N: Gives you N amount of gold.
- -refresh: Refreshes the health, mana, and all abilities on cool down.