Household DEATH! v1.2 for has finally been released!
A major 'visual overhaul' has been announced for Steam. Among the changes are improvements to the level of promotion given to mods, and looking ahead a 'distribution system that will work for free content...that should be pretty useful for MOD developers'. More details on the Steam Forums, hlcoders and The Steam Review.
The Dreamscape: Pin Point Blank mod has released some brand new media to look at!
Day of Defeat: Source is out!
Several errors have come up following Friday's Source update:
"gameinfo.txt is missing": Source did not look in SourceMods for mod content, but Steam still did.This issue has been resolved.
- Hangs: There are 4 causes, latter two could be specific to the update:
Core engine files are still being update: Steam's configuration mistakenly allows the game to launch early. This issue should be resolved with the 9/28 release. This was caused by VAC holding onto some .dlls.
- Your software firewall's rule popup has appeared in the background. Run the game in a window to see it.
DirectX is not up-to-date. If you are using 9.0b or older, update to 9.0c.Resolved - Steam will now check for you Forced DX9 mode. SeeFixed.
*Low framerates: This update seems to force DX9 for all cards, presumably due to HDR. This results in all sub-DX9 and GeForce FX cards seeing huge performance drops, or simply crashing or rebooting the computer. To get around this, add Fixed.
-dxlevel 70/80/81 to your shortcut.
- Framerate fluctuations: People with dual core 64bit systems (which are unsupported) are also seeing poor performance. The issue can be resolved by forcing your Source game to only run on one CPU.
This article may perhaps be relevent: Windows XP 64-bit Edition and Games
- Firewall: For those using Firewall software, you need to manually re-add
C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\username\half-life 2\hl2.exeto your exceptions list.
Wireframe shaders: The update has broken all custom shaders.Fixed.
On the bright side, DOD:S is still on track!
Gabe speaks: Gabe Newell Steamed
"We are aiming to release the demo before 11:59pm GMT on 9th of September 2005."
Team Dystopia have updated their site with photos and a brief report from Microsoft's TechEd convention. They were invited to demonstrate what can be achieved with the Source SDK and Microsoft development tools, demonstrating to a large audience and running their mod on top of the line Alienware computers!
Microsoft has released a new site dedicated to modding for the SDK on their Microsoft Developer Network. It's lacking content at the moment, but does confirm that Valve and Microsoft are working together to get Visual Studio 2005 Express Edition to properly compile the SDK.
Valve has now released the Steam-compatible version of the High-Definition pack for Half-Life 1. If you want more detailed, more realistic models for the classic Half-Life game and Opposing Force and Blue Shift expansions, click away! Install/Uninstall Links added to The steam:// browser protocol page.
Subscribers are beginning to recieve their early copies of CGW magazine, which features nothing short of a Valve bonanza. Look forward to new ally AI in Aftermath, a new HL2 episode every 3 months, Steam 3.0 with a completely new architecture, and more besides. Get all the details here!
- Additional coverage on 1UP.com, for those of you with a paper allergy...
Valve is hiring! If you think you've got what it takes, follow the link and see if you can help out.
Valve have signed a distribution deal with Electronic Arts. A distribution deal means EA handle the physical media while Valve retain full IP control - they are essentially self-publishing with EA's retail muscle timing in where they can't.
- Wow, that was great! Would have been better if we could download it and watch it in-game though. --- Campaignjunkie 15:09, 13 Jul 2005 (PDT)
- Yeah. I still think it's only truly machinima if it can be played in-game on one's own computer - think of it as an ultra-efficient video compression system... :-] --Cargo Cult 15:18, 13 Jul 2005 (PDT)
http://www.valvesoftware.com has been updated with a whole new style and up-to-date information. Go and have a look!
SiN 2 has been announced! It will use Steam and Source to become the first episodic, publisherless, AAA title ever made. More information.
The wiki has hit over 1,000 users! Congrats! --Mooga 06:17, 1 Jul 2005 (PDT)
Due to a request, I put up a forums to help talk about the wiki and such. Valve Wiki Forums. Please note that this is an unofficial forum. Valve has nothing to do with the it --Mooga 21:28, 30 Jun 2005 (PDT)
- But in these forums we can control everything we want. --Mooga 21:28, 30 Jun 2005 (PDT)
- Likewise. :) - Chrisb
- Why even use bulitin board software anyway, isn't that what talk pages are provided for?.. Skuld 09:48, 2 Jul 2005 (PDT)
- Chris, The-Coll really needs a better forum system than ChatBear, seriously. Its old and degenerete /Hipshot
- Why does everybody keep mentioning those spoilers? There were more spoilers in the Half-Life 2 E3 videos.. The Half-Life 2: Aftermath information just seems like basic information? SEThorian
Valve give a lot to the modding community.. Are they worried about the law suits against RockStar for the Hot Coffee Mod for GTA:sa? (Im not trying to start some bloody Hot Coffee argument, just curious if it worries valve.) --Treb 04:35, 10 Sep 2005 (PDT)