Creating indicator lights
This tutorial will show you how to make those indicator strips on the ground and walls that change color when the trigger is activated. It assumes you have moderate knowledge on the Hammer Overlay Tool.
The bulk of the lights are comprised of info_overlays. The four textures used are:
1. Create a path using the above info_overlays from your trigger to whatever they should activate. Give them all the same name; in this example we will use button_lights.
1. Create a prop_static with the following properties:
Property Name Value World Model models/props/sign_frame01/sign_frame01.mdl
Align it so it will be at the end of your light path.
2. Create a 32Wx4Lx32H block brush textured with tools/toolsnodraw. Texture the edges with signage/signage_border and the front with signage/signage_doorstate. Align this brush so it fits inside the prop_static sign frame.
Making it Work
1. Create a env_texturetoggle entity somewhere near your overlays. Give it the following properties:
Property Name Value Name button_lights_toggle Target Brush(es) button_lights (or whatever you named the overlays/func_brush)
2. Now just add the following output to the trigger for your button/switch/etc:
You now have helpful indicator lights to put around your map! You can download the tutorial map here.