Category talk:Source SDK FAQ
theyre not double listed, one is an indexed list, the other is just a category vault. and btw, when you get redirected from Source SDK FAQ, theres no content at all. --deathz0rz 13:19, 30 Jun 2005 (PDT)
reverted --deathz0rz 13:22, 30 Jun 2005 (PDT)
- 1 L4D2 Hammer Messes Up After Quitting a Test Game
- 2 Error found when running map
- 3 How to add a game in current game menu?
- 4 Missing entity name triggers?
- 5 Changing Character Speed
- 6 Can't download Source SDK
- 7 2 uniform maps within Deathmatch?
- 8 Multiplayer uniform selection from 'citizen_sheet.vtf'?
- 9 HL/CS Client-Server UDP Protocol
- 10 Cleanup
- 11 Creating somewhat professional videos using Team Fortress 2 models.
- 12 Half-Life 2: Episode Two mapping. Hammer looks weird.
L4D2 Hammer Messes Up After Quitting a Test Game
I've looked around, but can't seem to find a solution to this. Every so often when I exit the game after testing a map, Hammer's windows will go black, and I can't do anything or even open a new map. Seeing as it takes several minutes for Hammer to start up, I hate having restart it every time it does this. Is there a way to avoid/prevent this? --Deaden 04:45, 7 June 2010 (UTC)
Error found when running map
This error pops up when I try and run my map: The command failed. Windows reported the error:
"The system cannot find the file specified."
How do I fix this?? --User:CageinmyHead
- I added a page for System cannot find file specifed error in the Level Design FAQ. In the future, you can post questions on the Help Desk page. --JeffLane 17:05, 29 Apr 2006 (PDT)
Might just be that I'm very sleepy but, what's the current game menu?--Etset 16:45, 1 Feb 2008 (PST)
- (Okay, nevermind that, my brain is working at half-speed right now...) There are two ways to add a game to the Current Game menu on the Source SDK Launcher (thar I know of):
Missing entity name triggers?
In GoldSource games, you could use certain entity names to trigger things when a player died, killed somebody and joined or left the game. Do these still work in Source engine games, or has the feature been removed? If it still works, why isn't it listed here yet? Is it simply overlooked? Solokiller 10:48, 23 Feb 2008 (PST)
- Why would you want that? Any number of I/O events can be fired at any time now. --TomEdwards 10:55, 23 Feb 2008 (PST)
- Then how is it done? I don't see any entity which outputs anything if a player dies. Also, it's for multiplayer, not singleplayer. Solokiller 11:17, 23 Feb 2008 (PST)
Changing Character Speed
I am trying to make a new game, I'm going ok, but the character is pretty slow. How do i change the speed of the players? I've looked through different .cpp files but cant seem to find anything.
- You want these cvars:
- hl2_walkspeed (without suit)
- --TomEdwards 04:23, 12 Jul 2008 (PDT)
Can't download Source SDK
Hello. I apologies if this is already somewhere here resolved, but I have a problem. I've downloaded HL2:DM and HL2:LC as ATI customer. DM is in the list so I was expecting that I will get the Source SDK with it, but nothing. If I look into the Tools section so there isn't Source SDK item. Can I get Source SDK only when I purchase the game or is here another reason of that problem? Please help me. TIA for any suggestions. Reiny 09:02, 12 Jul 2008 (PDT)
i also have a problem i cannot download it even though i have the games downloaded from steam paid it always says the servers are busy i try again in a couple of minutes but i do that and it says the same message what do i do--newb email:firstname.lastname@example.org for any suggestions
2 uniform maps within Deathmatch?
I'd like to be able to assign two different multiplayer uniform skins to various members of the multiplayer list to allow for a 'red and green' team.
C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\[my_name]\half-life 2\hl2\materials\Models\Humans\Male\Group03\
There's 9 male models(Vance, Ted, etc)- that use the same uniform skin (citizen_sheet.vtf). I would like 4 of the male characters to use that file and 4 others to use my custom file (citizen_shee2t.vtf). I'm happy to use code but have never coded for HL. Could anyone tell me which files need changing and what to use to change them? Or does a tutorial exist?
Multiplayer uniform selection from 'citizen_sheet.vtf'?
Hi all, the following link will illustrate my query...
All feedback appreciated
HL/CS Client-Server UDP Protocol
Does somebody knows smth about the decoding of packets that are transmited from client to server and back through UDP protocol?
I mean not the info,ping,getchallenge,connect packets which are well described, but that packets, where key press, player position, messages are transmited?
They have variable length...
If somebody knows, let me know please. vvs777 =dog= vvs777.co.cc icq
Sorry for my bad english.
I probably was a little hasty on this. Here's why I removed so much stuff:
- The page is about the SDK itself. FAQs for programming etc. should be within the appropriate category (and it was my error to assume that they already were).
- Several links lead to the same destination. This is helpful when the list is being searched, but confusing when it's being displayed verbatim.
- A few of the questions aren't frequently asked at all, in particular the ones where the cause is deleting DLL files.
--TomEdwards 18:41, 23 January 2009 (UTC)
- There isn't a programming FAQ. There could be, though there are not a lot of programming FAQ items (at this point). We split off the Level Design FAQ because there were a large amount of items. It starts to get tricky to determine what section a question actually belongs, though there's little harm in duplication.
- What problem are you trying to solve here? I don't see why several questions can't go to the same link if they're significantly different questions but the solution is related.
- Can you be more specific, and what metric you're using? The steam.dll question has been asked fairly frequently, for example. The questions were for the most part posted by request, from forum posts, e-mail and questions posted here on this site.
- In general, when in doubt, it's better to err on the side of leaving information rather than removing it. Or obfuscating the content in a way that makes it difficult to locate. Please avoid the temptation to clean up or re-write for cleaning's sake (though I'm not necessarily suggesting that's what you're doing here). --JeffLane 23:31, 24 January 2009 (UTC)
Люди помогити плиз! Я делаю карты для контры, но когда делаю свет (В конце тунеля :-)) с галочкой HDR то получается какая то ошыбоччка. Пекарь белый, объекты сильно засвечены, но на карте темно. Тип светы "Light_environment" People help please!
Creating somewhat professional videos using Team Fortress 2 models.
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone knows how to create quality videos like "Meet the . . ." series. I have had many people comment back to me in various sites, saying that the videos were FMV's (frame motion videos). If anyone has any insight or links perhaps as to what resources Valve uses officially I would greatly appreciate it. -Chevallier
Meet The ____
Chevallier, these videos are made in the game engine using Valve's movie mode which isn't completely finished. Nobody really knows how it works yet except for Valve. monokrome 13:53, 29 June 2010 (UTC)
Half-Life 2: Episode Two mapping. Hammer looks weird.
I know my GameInfo.txt file is correct, but when I start Hammer, it looks like this:
Link to image
My GameInfo.txt file (just FileSystem) looks like this:
Can someone tell me what's going on?
- It does this when you're using the wrong engine version for the game/mod. Make sure you're using the orange box engine. Solokiller 08:10, 27 November 2009 (UTC)