Category talk:Portal 2 Puzzle Maker

From Valve Developer Community
Revision as of 17:11, 7 June 2012 by Catsy (talk | contribs) (Proposal regarding consistent terminology)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

Style and Terminology

I would like to open a discussion about the style and terminology we use in this area of the wiki, because I'm seeing a lot of different terms used for common puzzle maker elements and some of them are a bit confusing--as is the lack of consistency (and I've been as guilty of that as anyone). To start with: Panels vs blocks vs squares vs tiles vs Hammer units etc, for the 128x128 cubic brushes in which all world geometry in the puzzle maker is generated and measured. Semantically there are several ways these terms are used--

  • As a unit of measurement:
    • "Stairs are two panels deep, and when deployed allow the player to walk one panel high."
      • The most commonly used term, and IMO the worst. It is far too easily confused with the Panel testing elements.
    • "(Entity Cost) 1 per square for Glass, 2 per square for Grating"
      • This is a little better, but something about it still doesn't feel right.
    • "(Piston Platforms) move vertically in 128 unit increments, up to a limit of 384 vertical units."
      • This is the least ambiguous and most accurate, but is also likely to confuse PeTI users, especially since the editor does not use or expose these units anywhere in the GUI.
    • "...which can be placed in a Deadly Goo pool of 1 block depth..."
      • This is the term I personally prefer--it is clear, immediately evocative of the units the user works with in the editor, and is not confused with any testing element or Portal-related terminology.
  • As a reference to a specific face of a single 128x128 block:
    • "The target for the Faith Plate's landing can be adjusted in the editor by dragging the bulls-eye icon to a different tile"
      • This is clear and unambiguous. I don't mind it.
    • "These require space to activate/deploy, and do not permit anything to be placed in the square in front of them"
      • Also clear, and would allow for more consistency if "square" was used for measurement as well--but as before, just doesn't quite feel right.
    • "...flush with the outer edge of that block."
      • I am leaning towards this one, particularly since it is consistent with the term I prefer for the unit of measurement.
  • As a general reference to the usable surface of any given world geometry:
    • "(An Angle Panel) is a panel attached to an arm that can be positioned on a wall and set at different angles."
      • No good--"wall" implies only vertical surfaces, when a Panel can be attached to floors and ceilings as well.
    • "Glass and Grating must be anchored to a fixed surface, and will display an error if the surface to which it's attached is removed."
      • I strongly favor this term. I have used it fairly consistently in my writing here so far and IMO it is by far the clearest and most versatile way to refer to this concept without having to refer specifically to floors, walls or ceilings. Those can then be used only when we specifically mean one (such as a Dropper only being attachable to a ceiling).

I'll stop there for now, since IMO this is the real big one. Thoughts? Particularly from anyone at Valve who might have preferred internal terminology to use. Catsy 10:11, 7 June 2012 (PDT)