Difference between revisions of "Building Mods with Valve Technology"
(fix bg color)
m (1 revision: updated content for site upgrade)
Latest revision as of 14:49, 27 June 2011
Building a "mod" (a game which relies on another game's core technology) is very often the best way to develop a new game. When you rely on game technology as well-established as the Source engine, your team's time and effort can be spent building creative gameplay and unique content rather than on things like rendering technology or network code or collision detection. The Source Engine and its associated SDK provide the most efficient, complete, and powerful game development package on the market. And if you already own Half-Life 2 or Counter-Strike: Source, you've already got access to the full SDK. That's everything you need to start building your game.
Here are some reasons why it makes sense to build your game as a mod using the Source Engine:
- Valve remains dedicated to supporting the mod community.
- Valve also has a proven track record for turning mods into full-fledged commercial products.
Source and Steam have been designed with mods in mind
- The SDK is updated continuously and automatically, including new features (like HDR).
- A powerful (and free!) suite of content-development tools is included.
- Source is simply the most flexible and most powerful engine on the market.
- The Source/Steam platform allows you to have a direct relationship with your players/customers.
A larger player base than all other action-game engines combined
- Mod visibility comes from being a part of the most popular platform.
- Access to a huge, established community and audience.
- Steam games account for 88% of online action PC games.
- Approximately 5 billion player-minutes per month
- 50,000 game servers
- 100,000 to 220,000 simultaneous users at any given moment
Included: all of the tools used to build Half-Life 2
- HL2 source code included
- Softimage XSI|EXP for model building
- The Hammer level editor
- Fully documented with images and examples
- Complemented with in-depth community tutorials
- Half-Life Model Viewer
The power of the Source Engine
In every category, the Source Engine delivers proven industry-leading performance.
- Materials System
- Advanced Characters
- Advanced AI
- Multiplayer Network Code
- Sound System
- UI (Vgui)
Read about the features of the Source Engine.