Difference between revisions of "Authoring Tools/SDK (Left 4 Dead)"
m (Protected "Authoring Tools/SDK (Left 4 Dead)": placholder content [edit=sysop:move=sysop])
Revision as of 17:52, 13 May 2009
The Left 4 Dead Authoring Tools, also known as an SDK, is a set of software utilities that allow you to create your own levels, campaigns, common Infected, and other gameplay elements. They include versions of Source SDK tools that have been updated to work with the Left 4 Dead version of the Source Engine.
The Left 4 Dead Authoring Tools are freely available on Steam to all owners of the PC version of Left 4 Dead.
Downloading and installation
To install the Left 4 Dead Authoring Tools:
- Open the Steam window.
- Click on the Tools tab.
- Double-click on the Left 4 Dead Authoring Tools entry.
- The Left 4 Dead Authoring Tools will download to your computer via Steam.
- Once it has been fully installed, you will be able to launch it in the same way you installed it (from the Tools tab).
You can also create a desktop shortcut by right-clicking on the Left 4 Dead Authoring Tools entry and clicking Create desktop shortcut from the context menu.
Where do I go from here?
- The L4D Level Design Basics Tutorial is a step-by-step tutorial to get started making Left 4 Dead levels.
- If you want to learn about how to create content for the Source Engine in general, the main page of the Source SDK documentation is a good place to start.
- You may also visit the Left 4 Dead Level Creation page for tutorials and tips specific to making levels for Left 4 Dead.