Both commands are currently unfunctional in Counter-Strike: Global Offensive. Using either of the commands will result in the material to turn completely black in-game. Examples are detail props and particles who extensivly used these commands in older versions of the Source Engine, which now cannot use these anymore, resulting in the dissapearance of these entities.
For HUDs in Garry's Mod, the parameter
$vertexalpha is needed in order to make the alpha parameter of
- Must be set to 1
- Must be set to 1 (This is not necessary on UnlitGeneric)
- The surface must be a displacement.
- You can use the "paint alpha" tool to paint the alpha.
There are some caveats.
- You can define a second base texture, but it will be invisible.
- $translucent Does not function. The material will continue to use the vertex alpha of the displacement. $additive however, does function normally
- Material renders as a translucent materials, and as such, suffers from the same sorting issues and caveats as materials with $translucent
To do: Are these commands shader-agnostic?